- In this issue:
- » Equitymaster Conference 2017: A short coverage
- » Corporate earnings: The road ahead
- » Market roundup
- » ...and more!
00:00 Chart of the Day
21 January 2017.
I marked the date on my calendar almost a year ago. We were going to host Equitymaster Conference 2017 at the iconic Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai.
Finally, on Saturday, around two hundred and fifty attendees from six countries and 33 cities poured in for a day-long conference to hear from the experts, interact with like-minded investors, and get uncommon insights on India during these uncertain times.
As the conference progressed, I experienced mixed feelings of enthusiasm, joy, and pride.
Pride for being part of an institution that is fearless...honest...and uncompromising in its pursuit of the truth. Joy and enthusiasm for being surrounded by a sincere, perceptive, and inspiring audience.
I had the great privilege of interacting with many readers personally. I cannot tell you how valuable that always is. A big thank you to all the attendees for all your love, appreciation, feedback, and insights.
Our list of expert speakers included Equitymaster founder Ajit Dayal, our big-picture expert Vivek Kaul, our global intelligence expert Chris Lowe, real estate expert Ashwin Ramesh, stock market veterans Rahul Shah, Tanushree Banerjee, Richa Agarwal, and trading strategists Asad Dossani and Apurva Sheth.
The conference covered a wide range of issues that included an evaluation of India's economy, the causes and consequences of demonetisation, the global war on cash, its impact on the real estate sector, the job crisis in India, Trump's presidency, the fragility of the world economy, the outlook for the Indian stock markets, how to invest in safe stocks, how to win big with intelligent investing strategies, how to identify small caps riding the automation and robotics megatrend, top trading strategies for 2017, and more...
The speakers also addressed many pertinent questions raised by the conference participants.
I look back and ponder: What was my biggest takeaway from Equitymaster Conference 2017?
Businesses do not exist in isolation. As a research analyst who follows a bottom-up approach to pick winning stocks, I was keen to get a sense of the macro fundamentals...and what they could mean for Indian stock markets in 2017.
We got some remarkable insights from Ajit and Vivek in this regard. Let me share the gist of what they said.
For a mix of economic and political reasons, 2017 could be a challenging period for the Indian economy.
As per Ajit, demonetisation is neither a sufficient nor necessary condition to fight black money, curb terror funding, eradicate fake currencies, and promote a cashless economy.
The pertinent question is: Was demonetisation really an economic decision or a political ploy before some crucial state assembly elections?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has clearly changed the demonetisation narrative from a fight against black money and fake currency to a drive towards a cashless, digital economy.
If demonetisation turns out to be more than just a short-term blip, it may increase political pressure on the government to dole out more subsidies and freebies...and this may strain the government's fiscal deficit.
Now, it is important to understand that the economy was already struggling on several fronts prior to demonetisation. As Vivek Kaul has been warning, India's job situation is precarious.
Given India's demographics, we have about 10-12 million people ready to enter the workforce every year. But we're simply not able to create meaningful employment.
At the conference, Vivek astonished us with a detailed, data-driven presentation on the real employment scenario in India. India may have a situation where it finds more than twenty million young adults entering the workforce every year. Traditionally wealthy, land-owning upper-caste groups fighting for government jobs is a clear sign of the unemployment stress building up.
How does all this connect to corporate earnings?
After Modi came to power in 2014, optimism on Dalal Street was high. While earnings remain elusive, PE expansion continues to support the index levels.
The question is: How long can this trend continue? Can you make money in the next two-three years in the markets?
Show Me Earnings or Lower the Price
Tanushree shared an interesting perspective in this context.
In the past, companies in the StockSelect universe were adding capex but were not able to sweat assets. The result was a decline in return ratios. However, Tanushree can clearly see the debt to equity ratio coming down. And going forward, as demand catches up with supply, earnings and returns for well-managed companies are likely to improve.
In a universe of one hundred stocks, Tanushree is closely monitoring about twenty that look to be great opportunities going forward.
Richa and Rahul share Tanushree's optimism for stocks. But you'll have to wait to hear from them; it's simply not possible to cover all the top takeaways from the conference today.
If you missed it this time, I hope you will definitely make it next year. My team and I would be delighted to know you and serve you better.
| --- Advertisement --- |
CLAIM YOUR BOOK: Available For Just 3 More Days...
Last year we published a 220-page hardbound book called Equitymaster's Secrets...
A book that contains all the secrets behind our stock selection process.
Secrets that we have developed over the last 20 years of existence.
And we're delighted to share that over 10,000 readers claimed their Virtually Free Copy!
Now, in my last few emails, we have informed you that this book is available again, through the same exceptional 20th Anniversary Offer...however, for only 3 more days.
So, if you still haven't claimed your copy...
We would strongly recommend you reserve your copy today!
Click here for full details...
In the meanwhile, the Indian indices lost most of the morning gains and were trading flat. Sectoral indices were trading on a mixed note with stocks in the metal sector and the realty sector trading on a positive note, while stocks in the pharma sector and the capital goods sector were leading the losses. The BSE Sensex was trading up by 14 points (up 0.1%) and the NSE Nifty was trading up by 11 points (up 0.1%). The BSE Mid Cap index was trading down by 0.1% while the BSE Small Cap index was down by 0.2%. The rupee is trading at 68.09 to the US$.
04:50 Investing mantra
To invest successfully, you need not understand beta, efficient markets, modern portfolio theory, option pricing or emerging markets. You may, in fact, be better off knowing nothing of these. That, of course, is not the prevailing view at most business schools, whose finance curriculum tends to be dominated by such subjects. In our view, though, investment students need only two well-taught courses - How to value a business, and how to think about market prices. - Warren Buffett
|DISCLOSURES UNDER SEBI (RESEARCH ANALYSTS) REGULATIONS, 2014
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred to as "Equitymaster"/"Company") was incorporated on October 25, 2007. Equitymaster is a joint venture between Quantum Information Services Private Limited (QIS) and Agora group. Equitymaster is a SEBI registered Research Analyst under the SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations, 2014 with registration number INH000000537.
An independent research initiative, Equitymaster is committed to providing honest and unbiased views, opinions and recommendations on various investment opportunities across asset classes.
There are no outstanding litigations against the Company, it subsidiaries and its Directors.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR RESEARCH REPORT:
For the terms and conditions for research reports click here.
DETAILS OF ASSOCIATES:
Details of Associates are available here.
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO OWNERSHIP AND MATERIAL CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO RECEIPT OF COMPENSATION:
- 'subject company' is a company on which a buy/sell/hold view or target price is given/changed in this Research Report.
- Except for Hindustan Media Ventures Ltd, Equitymaster has no financial interest in any other Subject Company forming a part of this report.
- Equitymaster's investment in the subject company is as per the guidelines prescribed by the Board of Directors of the Company. The investment is however made solely for building track record of its services.
- Equitymaster's Associates and Research Analyst or his/her relative doesn't have any financial interest in the subject company.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have actual/beneficial ownership of one percent or more securities of the subject company at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation or other benefits from the subject company or third party in connection with the research report.
Definitions of Terms Used:
- The Research Analyst has not served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company.
- Equitymaster or the Research Analyst has not been engaged in market making activity for the subject company.
- Buy recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider buying the concerned stock at current market price keeping in mind the tenure and objective of the recommendation service.
- Hold recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider holding on to the shares of the company until further update and not buy more of the stock at current market price.
- Buy at lower price: This means that the subscriber should wait for some correction in the market price so that the stock can be bought at more attractive valuations keeping in mind the tenure and the objective of the service.
- Sell recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider selling the stock at current market price keeping in mind the objective of the recommendation service.
If you have any feedback or query or wish to report a matter, please do not hesitate to write to us.
Copyright © Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing this newsletter whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without the permission of Equitymaster is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringementDisclosure & Disclaimer:
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. The Author does not hold any shares in the company/ies discussed in this document. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed in this document under any of its other services.
This document is confidential and is supplied to you for information purposes only. It should not (directly or indirectly) be reproduced, further distributed to any person or published, in whole or in part, for any purpose whatsoever, without the consent of Equitymaster.
This document is not directed to, or intended for display, downloading, printing, reproducing or for distribution to or use by, any person or entity, who is a citizen or resident or located in any locality, state, country or other jurisdiction, where such distribution, publication, reproduction, availability or use would be contrary to law or regulation or what would subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement within such jurisdiction. If this document is sent or has reached any individual in such country, especially, USA, Canada or the European Union countries, the same may be ignored.
This document does not constitute a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Our research recommendations are general in nature and available electronically to all kind of subscribers irrespective of subscribers' investment objectives and financial situation/risk profile. Before acting on any recommendation in this document, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek professional advice. The price and value of the securities referred to in this material and the income from them may go down as well as up, and subscribers may realize losses on any investments. Past performance is not a guide for future performance, future returns are not guaranteed and a loss of original capital may occur. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster and its affiliates do not warrant its completeness or accuracy. The views/opinions expressed are our current opinions as of the date appearing in the material and may be subject to change from time to time without notice. This document should not be construed as an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy any security or asset in any jurisdiction. Equitymaster and its affiliates, its directors, analyst and employees will not be responsible for any loss or liability incurred to any person as a consequence of his or any other person on his behalf taking any decisions based on this document.
As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use
, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India.
Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407