- In this issue:
- » What Happens After You Buy a Stock
- » The Common Theme between Roger Federer, Buffett and ValuePro
- » Market roundup
- » ...and more!
00:00 Chart of the Day
I wrote to you on the merits of cloning a super investor. Warren Buffett.
The results were clear. The cloned group of stocks outperformed the benchmark indices over a time horizon of 15 years.
We learnt that stock picks of these smart minds available in public domain could act as a basic yet effective first level filter that would help in identifying quality businesses.
Chris Mayer is of the belief that one needs to hold on to quality businesses once you own them.
- Stick to businesses where time is your friend. There will be lots of ups and downs, but if you buy quality assets that you think are a near cinch to be worth a lot more money in 5 years or ten years, you'll be fine.
Unfortunately, for us, in India, we don't have such an individual disclosure as is available in the US.
However, there is a silver lining.
The regulations require companies to report any public shareholding that is more than 1% to be mandatorily reported every quarter.
Mind you, tracking all these company disclosures is not an easy thing. However, doing this provides you with an access of what these super investors are investing.
Kunal and I believe cloning India's Super Investors could be a great source of idea generation.
This disclosure has some limitations. The companies update their shareholdings only every quarter. Generally, there is a huge time gap between time a super investor may have bought in a stock versus the actual disclosure.
However, there is another potentially rewarding tool available with us to help track these super investors.
Enter: Bulk and Block Deals
Both the exchanges are mandated to report deals that are over a certain set threshold daily.
On an everyday basis, the exchanges release the data for all the bulk and block deals that have happened on its exchanges.
While, over 90-95% of these are mostly noise.
Sifting through the wheat from the chaff could be potentially hugely rewarding for the curious mind.
Let me walk you through an example.
Now, we spoke in detail about Akash Prakash, co-founder of Amansa Capital. A Fund manager who walks the less trodden path.
- Akash prefers companies that are well managed and financially disciplined, with a strong growth potential that can be held for multiple years and trade at a reasonable price.
If you have a similar investment philosophy of Amansa Capital and track the firm's activities.
On 15th Oct 2008, one would have found a bulk deal wherein, Amansa bought a 0.56% of a stake in Eicher motors at a price of Rs 201.
Imagine this, if fundamentals of Eicher Motors at the time passed your earnings quality checks and you stayed invested in the company.
Every Re 1 invested in the company then would have multiplied by 128 times in April-2017.
That's a whopping compounded annual return of over 77%.
Eicher Motors - The Compounding Machine
Well, Amansa Capital has stayed put and rode on this multibagger the whole way.
According to the Top 10 shareholders list provided in the Annual Report of Eicher Motors in 2016. Amansa continued to hold around 0.73% of the company.
Now, there are plenty of other examples, wherein tracking such bulk/block deals could have been resulted in huge wealth creation.
The critical aspect here again is to go beyond the stock picks of the smart money and understand their thought process behind buying them.
Our research co-head Rahul Shah often says, "it is all about exploring unrecognized simplicities."
There is another simple yet powerful way to identify promising companies. This person has the best view of what is happening to the business. He proverbially is in the driver's seat of the car.
Kunal has all the details. Watch this space tomorrow.
| --- Advertisement ---
Are You Prepared For Sensex 40,000? Read This Today...
Last year, in March 2016 to be exact, our research team identified a hidden underlying current in some of the biggest blue chips of the market which could actually take Sensex all the way up to 40,000 or even beyond...
And when we first made the claim, the Sensex was actually around the 25,000 mark.
Today, in just over a year, the Sensex is hovering around the 30,000 mark. In fact, for a short period on 5th April, it even crossed that barrier!
So, this bull run does reiterate our belief in our prediction that we could see Sensex 40,000 sooner than expected...
The question is...Are you prepared for Sensex 40,000?
Click here to get full details on one of Equitymaster's Biggest Predictions ever...and how you could benefit from it!
I had the privilege of witnessing professor Sanjay Bakshi cast a magical spell in front of a packed house in the iconic convention center at the Bombay Stock Exchange.
Over 600 people listened in pin drop silence as the professor delivered a lecture on, "What Happens After You Buy a Stock".
Professor reiterated his philosophy of owning quality businesses. According to him investing in a stock is similar to being in a relationship, and as with all relationships, one would go through different phases such as happiness, boredom etc. The success of the relationship will likely depend on various factors.
In brief, he spoke about the need to think in terms of conditional probabilities, biases, benefits of thinking over a long time horizon, evaluating a stock in terms of expected returns, when would you want to sell a stock and more...
For the newbie or intermediate investor, he also suggested four books that are a must read.
- One up on wall Street - Peter Lynch
- Margin of Safety - Seth Klarman
- The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham
- The Little Book that Builds Wealth - Pat Dorsey
For those who were not able to attend the talk, worry not. we have you covered. Here is our private class with the professor. The learnings shared by him are timeless.
In a recent edition of the Research Digest (Subscription Required), Tanushree wrote about a common thread that connects legends from different fields like Warren Buffett, Roger Federer together.
- Munger believes focus and devotion are at the heart of everything Buffett does...and that without that focus, Berkshire wouldn't be the entity it is today. Buffett's focus not only helped his firm's investment returns, but Munger believes the outstanding performance of the Berkshire's CEOs is due to Buffett's focus on their key qualities. Munger writes:
So the secret to Buffett and Federer's success, it seems, is a disciplined focus on a system that works.
- Buffett's decision to limit his activities to a few kinds and to maximize his attention to them, and to keep doing so for 50 years, was a lollapalooza. Buffett succeeded for the same reason Roger Federer became good at tennis.
Further, she is of the view that the core framework, ValuePro team uses to evaluate each business. Their highly disciplined focus has helped to pick the best 'Buffett-would-buy' stocks in India over the past eight years.
Now, I along with my team have put together a list of four stocks you could consider buying today.
According to me these are stocks even Buffett would find tempting. These are relatively safe stocks with solid long term business fundamentals.
I strongly recommend this report. You can gain access to it here.
Indian equity markets opened the day on a positive note. At the time of writing, BSE Sensex was trading higher by 82 points and NSE Nifty was higher by 15 points. Both the BSE Mid cap and BSE Small cap indices are trading up by 0.4% and 0.5%, respectively. Barring stocks from information technology sector and healthcare sector, all the sectoral indices have opened the day in green with stocks from realty sector, capital goods sector and banking sector leading the gains.
04:55 Today's Investing Mantra
"When we own portions of outstanding businesses with outstanding managements, our favorite holding period is forever." - Warren Buffett
|DISCLOSURES UNDER SEBI (RESEARCH ANALYSTS) REGULATIONS, 2014
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred to as "Equitymaster"/"Company") was incorporated on October 25, 2007. Equitymaster is a joint venture between Quantum Information Services Private Limited (QIS) and Agora group. Equitymaster is a SEBI registered Research Analyst under the SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations, 2014 with registration number INH000000537.
An independent research initiative, Equitymaster is committed to providing honest and unbiased views, opinions and recommendations on various investment opportunities across asset classes.
There are no outstanding litigations against the Company, it subsidiaries and its Directors.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR RESEARCH REPORT:
For the terms and conditions for research reports click here.
DETAILS OF ASSOCIATES:
Details of Associates are available here.
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO OWNERSHIP AND MATERIAL CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO RECEIPT OF COMPENSATION:
- 'subject company' is a company on which a buy/sell/hold view or target price is given/changed in this Research Report
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have any financial interest in the subject company.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have actual/beneficial ownership of one percent or more securities of the subject company at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation or other benefits from the subject company or third party in connection with the research report.
Definitions of Terms Used:
- The Research Analyst has not served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company.
- Equitymaster or the Research Analyst has not been engaged in market making activity for the subject company.
- Buy recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider buying the concerned stock at current market price keeping in mind the tenure and objective of the recommendation service.
- Hold recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider holding on to the shares of the company until further update and not buy more of the stock at current market price.
- Buy at lower price: This means that the subscriber should wait for some correction in the market price so that the stock can be bought at more attractive valuations keeping in mind the tenure and the objective of the service.
- Sell recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider selling the stock at current market price keeping in mind the objective of the recommendation service.
If you have any feedback or query or wish to report a matter, please do not hesitate to write to us.
Copyright © Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing this newsletter whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without the permission of Equitymaster is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringementDisclosure & Disclaimer:
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst) bearing Registration No. INH000000537 (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. The Author does not hold any shares in the company/ies discussed in this document. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed in this document under any of its other services.
This document is confidential and is supplied to you for information purposes only. It should not (directly or indirectly) be reproduced, further distributed to any person or published, in whole or in part, for any purpose whatsoever, without the consent of Equitymaster.
This document is not directed to, or intended for display, downloading, printing, reproducing or for distribution to or use by, any person or entity, who is a citizen or resident or located in any locality, state, country or other jurisdiction, where such distribution, publication, reproduction, availability or use would be contrary to law or regulation or what would subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement within such jurisdiction. If this document is sent or has reached any individual in such country, especially, USA, Canada or the European Union countries, the same may be ignored.
This document does not constitute a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Our research recommendations are general in nature and available electronically to all kind of subscribers irrespective of subscribers' investment objectives and financial situation/risk profile. Before acting on any recommendation in this document, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek professional advice. The price and value of the securities referred to in this material and the income from them may go down as well as up, and subscribers may realize losses on any investments. Past performance is not a guide for future performance, future returns are not guaranteed and a loss of original capital may occur. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster and its affiliates do not warrant its completeness or accuracy. The views/opinions expressed are our current opinions as of the date appearing in the material and may be subject to change from time to time without notice. This document should not be construed as an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy any security or asset in any jurisdiction. Equitymaster and its affiliates, its directors, analyst and employees will not be responsible for any loss or liability incurred to any person as a consequence of his or any other person on his behalf taking any decisions based on this document.
As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use
, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst) 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India.
Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407