On This Day - 5 JUNE 2017
A Parable for Today's Heady Markets
- In this issue:
- » Is the worst case scenario priced into pharma stocks
- » Our special guide on the upcoming IPOs in 2017
- » Market roundup
- » ...and more!
Today, I want to share with you a story Professor Sanjay Bakshi told in his virtual class room (i.e. his twitter account!).
It was published a while back and every time I re-read it, I find something new. It's particularly relevant during these heady times in the stock market.
Without further ado, please enjoy The Parable of the Mexican Fisherman.
- A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them. The fisherman said...
Not very long.
Well, then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?
Because this is sufficient to meet my needs and those of my family.
But what do you do with the rest of your time?
I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs, and socialise with my friends... I have a full life.
The American interrupted and said I am an MBA and an investment banker and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day.
You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.
Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise.
How long would that take?
Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years.
And then what after that?
After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the stock exchange. By then, you will be rich. Your income will be coming in by the millions!
Millions? Really? And then what after that?
Ah, that is the beauty part of all this. After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take siestas with your wife, and spend your evenings playing the guitar, singing a few songs, drinking, and socialising with your friends...
Notice how the fishermen kept asking and then what?
It's easy to get lost without second level thinking...
In investing, it's not about the certainty of answers. It's rather about the uncertainty that questions bring about.
The super investors of India have a natural curiosity. Like the Mexican fisherman, they ask questions till clarity is achieved. Continuous learning through questioning till you arrive at the right answers remains the most important aspect in investing.
And then what? You may ask...
Well, for today at least, you could learn more about the super investors of India.
03:30 Chart of the Day
Markets are in a punishing mood towards export-oriented sectors right now. Most of these sectors seem to be facing some headwinds. It looks like their growth story has come off the rails. They seem to be Megatrends in reverse. Take the case of pharmaceuticals sector in India.
Now, wearing the questioning hat we borrowed from our Mexican fisherman story. Girish, our pharma analyst dug deeper. We wrote about some of his views on pharma sector in general in our recent edition of Research Digest (subscription required).
Is the Worst Over for all the Pharma Stocks?
- There's price control regulations in many countries to worry about. There's the well-documented USFDA issues. Then there's something you've probably not heard about yet...
Did you know pharmacies in the US are consolidating? That is, they're getting bigger through mergers and acquisitions? This has resulted in greater bargaining power when buying drugs from pharma firms.
The list of pharma sector woes is long. Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Girish thinks there is.
It doesn't make sense to paint all pharma stocks with the same brush. The leaders of the industry will certainly survive this phase. And just like IT, there are interesting, niche pharma stocks that are worth your attention.
His deduction was markets are irrationally punishing everyone. Such gloom and doom scenarios are bound to create opportunities in select stocks. The prudent thing to do is to remain focused and patient for both opportunities to come as well as to play out completely.
IPOs continues to galore in 2017 as well. Per the latest available information, at least four companies are ready to tap the secondary market in the June month itself. Reportedly these would be trying to garner around Rs 50 bn. The frantic mad dash of road shows seems to be in full swing. According to reports from livemint, eight companies have managed to raise Rs 63 bn through their public listings so far in 2017. Last year saw 26 companies raised around Rs 265 bn through this route.
We have come out with a special report titled, How to Get Rich with IPOs. It is a comprehensive report that aims to cut through all the hoopla surrounding IPOs. It talks about spotting the rare good profitable companies. It also talks about in great detail on tell-tale signs of IPOs that need to be avoided. Claim your free copy of the report here.
Share markets in India have opened the day on a flat note. The BSE Sensex is trading lower by 27 points and the NSE Nifty is trading higher by 4 points. Barring FMCG stocks, metal stocks and information technology stocks, all sectoral indices have opened the day in green with consumer durable stocks and realty stocks leading the gainers.
04:55 Today's Investing Mantra
"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett
|DISCLOSURES UNDER SEBI (RESEARCH ANALYSTS) REGULATIONS, 2014
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred to as "Equitymaster"/"Company") was incorporated on October 25, 2007. Equitymaster is a joint venture between Quantum Information Services Private Limited (QIS) and Agora group. Equitymaster is a SEBI registered Research Analyst under the SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations, 2014 with registration number INH000000537.
An independent research initiative, Equitymaster is committed to providing honest and unbiased views, opinions and recommendations on various investment opportunities across asset classes.
There are no outstanding litigations against the Company, it subsidiaries and its Directors.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR RESEARCH REPORT:
For the terms and conditions for research reports click here.
DETAILS OF ASSOCIATES:
Details of Associates are available here.
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO OWNERSHIP AND MATERIAL CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO RECEIPT OF COMPENSATION:
- 'subject company' is a company on which a buy/sell/hold view or target price is given/changed in this Research Report
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have any financial interest in the subject company.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have actual/beneficial ownership of one percent or more securities of the subject company at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation or other benefits from the subject company or third party in connection with the research report.
Definitions of Terms Used:
- The Research Analyst has not served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company.
- Equitymaster or the Research Analyst has not been engaged in market making activity for the subject company.
- Buy recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider buying the concerned stock at current market price keeping in mind the tenure and objective of the recommendation service.
- Hold recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider holding on to the shares of the company until further update and not buy more of the stock at current market price.
- Buy at lower price: This means that the subscriber should wait for some correction in the market price so that the stock can be bought at more attractive valuations keeping in mind the tenure and the objective of the service.
- Sell recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider selling the stock at current market price keeping in mind the objective of the recommendation service.
If you have any feedback or query or wish to report a matter, please do not hesitate to write to us.
Copyright © Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing this newsletter whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without the permission of Equitymaster is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringementDisclosure & Disclaimer:
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst) bearing Registration No. INH000000537 (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. The Author does not hold any shares in the company/ies discussed in this document. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed in this document under any of its other services.
This document is confidential and is supplied to you for information purposes only. It should not (directly or indirectly) be reproduced, further distributed to any person or published, in whole or in part, for any purpose whatsoever, without the consent of Equitymaster.
This document is not directed to, or intended for display, downloading, printing, reproducing or for distribution to or use by, any person or entity, who is a citizen or resident or located in any locality, state, country or other jurisdiction, where such distribution, publication, reproduction, availability or use would be contrary to law or regulation or what would subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement within such jurisdiction. If this document is sent or has reached any individual in such country, especially, USA, Canada or the European Union countries, the same may be ignored.
This document does not constitute a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Our research recommendations are general in nature and available electronically to all kind of subscribers irrespective of subscribers' investment objectives and financial situation/risk profile. Before acting on any recommendation in this document, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek professional advice. The price and value of the securities referred to in this material and the income from them may go down as well as up, and subscribers may realize losses on any investments. Past performance is not a guide for future performance, future returns are not guaranteed and a loss of original capital may occur. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster and its affiliates do not warrant its completeness or accuracy. The views/opinions expressed are our current opinions as of the date appearing in the material and may be subject to change from time to time without notice. This document should not be construed as an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy any security or asset in any jurisdiction. Equitymaster and its affiliates, its directors, analyst and employees will not be responsible for any loss or liability incurred to any person as a consequence of his or any other person on his behalf taking any decisions based on this document.
As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use
, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst) 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India.
Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407