- In this issue:
- » Housing Finance Companies Are Flying Higher Due to Urbanisation Megatrend
- » Is the Government Ready for GST Rollout?
- » Market Update
- » And more...
- If you're looking for a home run - a great investment for five years or ten years or more - then the only way to beat this enormous fog that covers the future is to identify a long-term trend that will give a particular business some sort of edge. Invest in themes that will give a company a long-term franchise. - Ralph Wagner
That's what Megatrends are all about. They create tailwinds.
Consider housing finance companies (HFCs). The urbanisation Megatrend is the key catalyst for housing finance demand. In urban areas, the gap between housing supply and demand is wide.
HFCs have clearly benefitted from this Megatrend. Other factors too - a young population, a rising middle-class, the HFCs' dedicated focus - have helped these companies capture market share from private moneylenders (unorganised) and public sector banks (resource constraint faced by PSUs due to losses from bad loans). These tailwinds accelerate the opportunity and provide the fundamentals necessary for high, long-term growth.
Companies that operate in industries propelled by Megatrend tailwinds generally outperform the market. The best of these companies are rewarded with premium valuations...and ultimately deliver incredible shareholder value.
The market is dynamic. It's continuously evolving. As such, companies must adjust their strategies and business models.
Consider demonetisation. The controversial move caused a severe cash crunch and has affected many companies' growth and profitability over the last two quarters. However, as we spoke to several companies, a common response was this:
- We see this as a positive development as there will be a shift from unorganised players to organised players.
Another structural change is in the offing: the goods and services tax (GST). It too could disrupt the entire value chain. When we ask managements about GST, the response usually goes something like this:
- Changes such as reduction in transit time due to the elimination of multiple check-points (octroi/state borders) and the consolidation of warehouses will save logistic costs. This will help our company as we have a PAN-India presence. It will help us fend off competition from unorganised regional players who have an advantage because of lower logistics costs.
The 'unorganised-to-organised Megatrend' is evident in several industries - be it mortgage (unorganised/untapped to organised), logistics (consolidation of warehouse space), or consumption-based companies like FMCGs, jewelry, and consumer electricals (unbranded to branded).
Our focus at The India Letter is Megatrends. We aim to identify lasting Megatrends and the companies that will benefit from them the most.
Last month, we recommended a company with a pan-India presence that's set to benefit from GST. You can gain access to the stock report here.
Though India is one of the fastest-growing economies, the proportion of the unorganised segment has remained extremely high. Nevertheless, this is gradually changing, and we can expect the pace to accelerate going forward.
02:30 Chart of the Day
Talking about housing finance companies (HFCs), shares of HFCs are trading near their lifetime highs.
On a compounded annual basis over the last four years, these returns come to a staggering 114% for Can Fin Homes, 49% for GIC Housing Finance, 37% for Gruh Finance as well as Repco Finance, and 29% for LIC Housing Finance. Similarly, on a point-to-point basis, can fin has delivered an astounding return of 1991% in the last four years. Gruh Finance and Repco finance delivered more than 250% in the same time period.
Housing Finance Company Stocks Flying Higher
Some of the key reasons for the handsome return include softening interest rate, good asset quality, shortest turnaround time for issuing loans, diversified funding mix, and of course urbanisation megatrend.
To our pleasant surprise, two of these five stocks happen to have been recommended at different times in our service The India Letter . Not to mention, in October 2016, the Hidden Treasure team successfully closed Can fin home with stupendous weighted average CAGR of 102.1%.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi reviewed the preparations for the rollout of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) yesterday. He described the GST as a 'turning point for the economy, unprecedented in history'. Similarly, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley stated that the IT infrastructure is ready and the government is prepared for July 1 launch.
However, the main challenge still remains. With less than a month for the scheduled date of GST introduction, seven states are yet to pass their respective state GST (SGST) legislations. These states include West Bengal, Meghalaya, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Jammu & Kashmir.
As per the GST Constitutional Amendment, all states have to pass SGST bills by 15 September 2017, failing which they will lose their taxation powers. Failing to clear laws by 15 September might land these states in financial chaos. Keep an eye on this space!
If you want to understand what GST exactly is, how will it help improve India's taxation system and the practical implications of GST, I strongly recommend you download Vivek Kaul's free report, What the Mainstream Media DID NOT TELL YOU about GST.
The Indian stock markets were trading marginally lower at the time writing. At the time of writing, the BSE Sensex is trading lower 23 points (down 0.07%) and the NSE Nifty is trading down 8 points (down 0.08%). The BSE Midcap and Smallcap indices are trading lower by 0.13% and 0.04% each. Gains were largely seen in metal and IT stocks.
04:45 Today's Investment Mantra
"The stock market is a no-called-strike game. You don't have to swing at everything - you can wait for your pitch." - Warren Buffett
|DISCLOSURES UNDER SEBI (RESEARCH ANALYSTS) REGULATIONS, 2014
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred to as "Equitymaster"/"Company") was incorporated on October 25, 2007. Equitymaster is a joint venture between Quantum Information Services Private Limited (QIS) and Agora group. Equitymaster is a SEBI registered Research Analyst under the SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations, 2014 with registration number INH000000537.
An independent research initiative, Equitymaster is committed to providing honest and unbiased views, opinions and recommendations on various investment opportunities across asset classes.
There are no outstanding litigations against the Company, it subsidiaries and its Directors.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR RESEARCH REPORT:
For the terms and conditions for research reports click here.
DETAILS OF ASSOCIATES:
Details of Associates are available here.
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO OWNERSHIP AND MATERIAL CONFLICTS OF INTEREST:
DISCLOSURE WITH REGARDS TO RECEIPT OF COMPENSATION:
- 'subject company' is a company on which a buy/sell/hold view or target price is given/changed in this Research Report
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have any financial interest in the subject company.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have actual/beneficial ownership of one percent or more securities of the subject company at the end of the month immediately preceding the date of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster, it's Associates, Research Analyst or his/her relative have any other material conflict of interest at the time of publication of the research report.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have managed or co-managed public offering of securities for the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation for products or services other than investment banking or merchant banking or brokerage services from the subject company in the past twelve months.
- Neither Equitymaster nor it's Associates have received any compensation or other benefits from the subject company or third party in connection with the research report.
Definitions of Terms Used:
- The Research Analyst has not served as an officer, director or employee of the subject company.
- Equitymaster or the Research Analyst has not been engaged in market making activity for the subject company.
- Buy recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider buying the concerned stock at current market price keeping in mind the tenure and objective of the recommendation service.
- Hold recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider holding on to the shares of the company until further update and not buy more of the stock at current market price.
- Buy at lower price: This means that the subscriber should wait for some correction in the market price so that the stock can be bought at more attractive valuations keeping in mind the tenure and the objective of the service.
- Sell recommendation: This means that the subscriber could consider selling the stock at current market price keeping in mind the objective of the recommendation service.
If you have any feedback or query or wish to report a matter, please do not hesitate to write to us.
Copyright © Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing this newsletter whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without the permission of Equitymaster is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringementDisclosure & Disclaimer:
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst) bearing Registration No. INH000000537 (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. The Author does not hold any shares in the company/ies discussed in this document. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed in this document under any of its other services.
This document is confidential and is supplied to you for information purposes only. It should not (directly or indirectly) be reproduced, further distributed to any person or published, in whole or in part, for any purpose whatsoever, without the consent of Equitymaster.
This document is not directed to, or intended for display, downloading, printing, reproducing or for distribution to or use by, any person or entity, who is a citizen or resident or located in any locality, state, country or other jurisdiction, where such distribution, publication, reproduction, availability or use would be contrary to law or regulation or what would subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement within such jurisdiction. If this document is sent or has reached any individual in such country, especially, USA, Canada or the European Union countries, the same may be ignored.
This document does not constitute a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Our research recommendations are general in nature and available electronically to all kind of subscribers irrespective of subscribers' investment objectives and financial situation/risk profile. Before acting on any recommendation in this document, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek professional advice. The price and value of the securities referred to in this material and the income from them may go down as well as up, and subscribers may realize losses on any investments. Past performance is not a guide for future performance, future returns are not guaranteed and a loss of original capital may occur. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster and its affiliates do not warrant its completeness or accuracy. The views/opinions expressed are our current opinions as of the date appearing in the material and may be subject to change from time to time without notice. This document should not be construed as an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy any security or asset in any jurisdiction. Equitymaster and its affiliates, its directors, analyst and employees will not be responsible for any loss or liability incurred to any person as a consequence of his or any other person on his behalf taking any decisions based on this document.
As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use
, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst) 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India.
Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407