As per a latest announcement, engineering major, L&T, has entered into a joint venture (JV) with Dubai Aluminium Company Limited (Dubal) for setting up integrated bauxite mining cum alumina refinery project in Orissa. The project involves setting up a 1.4 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) alumina refinery, bauxite mine and related infrastructure (including a captive power plant, port facility, township and other utilities). The total project cost is estimated at around Rs 50 bn and L&T will hold a 26% stake, with the remaining 74% being held by Dubal.
While the contract comes in good for L&T's engineering and construction (E&C) division in terms that it will boost the order book that already stands at Rs 164 bn, what one fails to understand is the decision by the company to hold a 26% stake in the venture. L&T had, in the past, burnt its fingers by diversifying into the cement business, which it later demerged and sold to Grasim. Ventures into areas like financial services have also been futile. This new 'diversification' of entering the 'aluminium-related' business, thus, does cast aspersions on the company's strategy for growth. Besides, while the money may be committed up front, given the fact that the plant may be commissioned in 2009, the returns from the same are likely to be long-term in nature. More importantly, one is not sure whether the robustness in aluminium prices will sustain by 2009 and therefore, this exposes the company to commodity cycles.
We believe that the core strengths of L&T rest in infrastructure-related activities. At the current price of 1,028, the stock is trading at a price to earnings multiple of 15.4 times annualised 9mFY05 earnings. Post the demerger of its cement business to Grasim, it was felt that the focus of L&T has centered on the infrastructure sector. However, if media reports are true, then we believe that the management has failed to learn from its past mistakes (read diversifications).
Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has announced third quarter results of financial year 2016-2017 (3QFY17). The company has reported 1.7% YoY growth in sales while profits have grown 38.9% YoY. Here is our analysis of the results.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA or Canada, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.
SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India. Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: email@example.com. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407