Gas transmission and distribution major, Gas authority of India Ltd. (GAIL) has posted the fourth quarter and full FY03 results which showed an impressive 10% growth in topline while its bottomline i.e. Net Profit increased by an even better 35% as compared to FY02.
Operating Profit (EBDIT)
Operating Profit Margin (%)
Profit before Tax
Profit after Tax/(Loss)
Net profit margin (%)
No. of Shares
Diluted Earnings per share*
Topline growth recorded in FY03 can be largely attributed to the increase in volumes of gas handled from the Krishna Godavari basin, increase in polymers and LPG sales and that from other liquid hydrocarbons. Gas throughput during FY03 increased by about 2%, whereas the total liquid hydrocarbon production increased by about 16% in FY03. If we look at the segment wise breakup of sales and revenue mix for the company, it becomes aptly clear that the sales primarily comes from Gas processing and LPG transportation. While the former constitutes for about 98% on the sales side, latter contributes about the remaining 2%. On the profit side, gas processing business generates a profit of about 97% for the company. The PBIT margin from LPG transmission has increased from 21% last year to 34% in this financial year.
Segment wise break-up
Gas processing & sales
While on one hand sales have grown strongly, on the other hand the company has managed to keep its expenses under control. Expenditure has increased by about 5% for FY03. Contribution of purchases of Natural Gas as a percent of total sales has gone down from about 61% to 57% in FY03. This has led to the considerable improvement in the operating margins. The company's operating margin has improved by 310 basis points in FY03.
Apart from the improvement in operating margins, profitability has improved considerably due to fall in interest expenses by about 18% in FY03. The company seems to have carried out debt restructuring due to the current prevailing low interest rates. This has led to a considerable growth in net profits for FY03. The company's net profit growth stood at 35% in the year ended FY03.
At Rs 81 the scrip is trading at a P/E multiple of 4.3x its FY03 earnings. Going forward the company has projects worth Rs. 70 bn underway and has an investment plan to the tune of Rs 200 bn in the next five years. Considering the company's expansion plans and its performance in FY03, we feel that more value can be unlocked from the business going forward.
GAIL (India) Ltd has announced results for the quarter ended June 2016. The company has reported 14.6 % year on year (YoY) decline in sales, while bottom-line grew 244% YoY. Here is a brief summary of the results.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA or Canada, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.
SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India. Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: email@example.com. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407