May 25, 2000|
Air Conditioners – Heated Up
The Indian air conditioner segment, estimated at Rs 12 b, until now, has been confined to the unorganised sector. But this is largely due to the lopsided excise structure, which gave the unorganised segment an edge over the organised segment. In recent years, efforts to correct this anomaly have supported the big players like Carrier Aircon, LG, Samsung and Bluestar.
The demand for air conditioners is predominantly institutional, which includes government and corporate (accounting for nearly 80% of the market). The rest of the demand comes from the household sector, which incidentally is the fastest growing sector in this segment.
The air conditioners market
||% of total
|PAC & Ducted Splits
- The excise duty on the air conditioners has come down from 60% in FY94 to 30% in FY00. This has benefited the major players in terms of both prices and market share. The unorganised sector has been consistently losing its market share to their counterparts.
- The companies are also expanding capacities by 0.25 m in the next two years bringing the total capacity to 0.9 m.
- The companies are introducing energy-saving models of air conditioners, which could initiate interest among the consumers who are wary of high running costs.
- The other factors that could stimulate demand is the development of software technology parks, which have large demand for air conditioning equipment. Companies like Carrier Aircon and Bluestar, the market leaders in central air conditioner market should benefit from this.
Central AC market shares
- The aggressive brand building exercise and distribution strategies by companies like LG, Samsung and Carrier to tap rural demand should improve topline growth. With all these factors, the air conditioner market is headed for a good year ahead.
More Views on News
Sorry! There are no related views on news for this company/sector.
Aug 7, 2017
The data tells us quite a different story from the one the government is trying to project.
Aug 10, 2017
Don't miss these proxy bets on growing companies or in a few years you will be looking back with regret.
Aug 8, 2017
Bharat-22 is one of the most diverse ETFs offered so far by the Government. Know here if you should invest...
Aug 12, 2017
The India VIX is up 36% in the last week. Fear has gone up but is still low by historical standards.
Aug 7, 2017
Raksha Bandhan signifies the brother-sister bond. Here are 7 thoughtful financial gifts for sisters...
Copyright © Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing this newsletter whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without the permission of Equitymaster is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringement. LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA or Canada, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here
. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India.
Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: email@example.com. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407