May 27, 2009|
Logistics: Hurdles for the road freight sector
In our previous article we had a look at the road freight industry and the factors driving growth. However, the road is not so smooth and there are a few factors that can prove to be a snag to the sector's growth prospects. In this article we shall take a look at some of the hurdles that the road freight industry faces.
- Fragmented nature of the industry restricts benefits of scale of operations. Majority of the players are small entrepreneurs handling family businesses. Lack of scale increases the cost of services for customers. Smaller scale also impacts fund availability.
- Inadequate investments and lack of timely execution of building supporting infrastructure such as roadways, expressways will result in inefficiency and higher costs of operation impacting profitability of the players.
- Apart from improving quality of roads, the toll system needs to be integrated to save on time and lower costs. Several check points increase waiting or transit time. At times this leads to congestion, which besides increasing waiting or transit time, increases the cost of operation.
- Lack of technology can also obstruct growth of the segment. Access to technology and implementation of modern methods is important as it will result in cost savings and improve transport efficiency. Technological upgradation in the areas of engineering, designs and construction methods is imminent as the same would speed up the pace of construction and infrastructural development, ensure better quality of transport system and reduce delays. Apart from construction and maintenance of roads to ease smooth transport of goods, technology can also be utilised for rolling stock.
- There are also policy issues to be considered. For instance, a truck operator has to normally obtain clearance from seven (sales tax, regional transport officer (RTO), excise, forest, regulated market committee, civil supplies and geology and mining) different agencies for carrying goods or paying certain charges at the check post. These checks are generally conducted by respective agencies at separate points resulting into detention of vehicles, which impacts their operational viability owing to loss of time, idling of vehicles, etc. Time is wealth. Delays and idling of vehicles not only exerts cost pressure but restricts revenue growth.
- Multiplicity of laws and agencies governing inter-state movement of goods and vehicles are major impediments, which also affects operational viability. These laws include governing access control to national highways, inter-state movement of goods and inter-state movement of vehicles.
These are few issues that can obstruct the growth of road transport and hence the growth of the freight industry. Apart from these, the issue of availability of skilled labour also needs to be tackled. There is also the need to set in place a single window clearance system for all authorised charges/clearances both at the origin and at check posts to ensure smooth inter-state transportation on national highways etc.
More Views on News
Dec 7, 2016
Container Corporation of India Ltd has announced results for the quarter ended September 2016. The company has reported 8.2 % year on year (YoY) decline in sales, while bottom-line is down 31.9% YoY.
Aug 17, 2016
Container Corporation of India Ltd has reported a decline of 6% and 14% in the topline and bottomline respectively for the quarter ended June 2016.
Nov 9, 2015
Container Corporation of India Ltd has reported 11% year on year (YoY) growth in the topline for the quarter ended September 2015 while the bottomline for the quarter grew by 21% YoY.
Aug 24, 2015
More Views on News
Aug 7, 2017
The data tells us quite a different story from the one the government is trying to project.
Aug 10, 2017
Don't miss these proxy bets on growing companies or in a few years you will be looking back with regret.
Aug 8, 2017
Bharat-22 is one of the most diverse ETFs offered so far by the Government. Know here if you should invest...
Aug 12, 2017
The India VIX is up 36% in the last week. Fear has gone up but is still low by historical standards.
Aug 7, 2017
Raksha Bandhan signifies the brother-sister bond. Here are 7 thoughtful financial gifts for sisters...
Copyright © Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing this newsletter whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without the permission of Equitymaster is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringement. LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA or Canada, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here
. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India.
Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407