Power: Privatisation benefits! - Views on News from Equitymaster

Helping You Build Wealth With Honest Research
Since 1996. Try Now

  • MyStocks

MEMBER'S LOGINX

     
Login Failure
   
     
   
     
 
 
 
(Please do not use this option on a public machine)
 
     
 
 
 
  Sign Up | Forgot Password?  

Power: Privatisation benefits!

Jun 29, 2004

Power distribution business in India has suffered from a number of problems that have accumulated over the last fifty years. Problems include unfavorable user charge regime for some section of users, excessive T&D losses and distorted tariff policies. Recognizing the current state of the sector, a number of measures have been suggested. However, implementation has been poor and significant progress towards attainment of efficiency gains is yet to be made. Power distribution in India is a monopoly of the SEBs (state electricity boards) with very limited involvement of the private sector. Players like Tata Power, Reliance Energy and CERC represent barely 10% of the total power distributed and remaining 90% in covered by the government entities as on 31st March 2004. As a result, T&D (technical and distribution) losses are on the higher side (40% to 50%. Of this around 20% are technical and the remaining are commercial losses).

The technical losses are due to the poor infrastructure (not enough transmission lines available), but the commercial losses are due to lack of political will to charge people for the power supplied. Just to win accolades some sections of the public, it has become fashionable among the state governments to distribute power at free of cost or at subsidised rates. The very fact that the major defaulters of SEBs include government departments and municipal undertakings shows that the state governments are financially distressed. In such a scenario, how can we expect the SEBs to receive their money on time for free power supplied?

Of the 27 states that have signed MoAs (memorandum of association) with the government of India to undertake reforms, 11 states have been unbundled till now and the improvement witnessed is just outstanding. Just goes to show the benefits of de-regulation! Now the question that arises is why is privatisation of SEBs so important? The table below shows the results achieved during the last one year from these 11 states and will substantiate our view that further de-regulation is critical from the long-term perspective.

(Rs bn) Before After Loss reduction
Andhra Pradesh 29.4 18.8 -36.1%
Assam 7.2 4.5 -37.5%
Gujarat 42.7 27.2 -36.3%
Madhya Pradesh 27.3 18.7 -31.5%
Maharashtra 24.7 3.9 -84.2%
Haryana 9.8 8.6 -12.2%
Rajasthan 1.8 1.3 -27.8%
Tamil Nadu 25.3 15.8 -37.5%
Uttar Pradesh 24.5 18.5 -24.5%
Uttranchal 9.7 1.0 -89.7%
West Bengal 8.9 5.9 -33.7%
Total 211.3 124.2 -41.2%

Though there have been practical limitations in the implementation of the reforms, the most significant factor affecting the same has been the lack of political will. Needless to say, there is an urgent need for all the state governments to realise that if India wants to achieve 8% growth rate then power sector will have an important role to play. As rightly said by Mr. Jack Welch- "When you think of digitizing India, there will be a massive amount of power required and I pray to this government that you have to push and push and push to invest in infrastructure."


Equitymaster requests your view! Post a comment on "Power: Privatisation benefits!". Click here!

  

More Views on News

INDIAN ENERGY EXCHANGE LTD Share Price Down by 5%; BSE POWER Index Down 2.1% (Market Updates)

Sep 22, 2020 | Updated on Sep 22, 2020

INDIAN ENERGY EXCHANGE LTD share price is trading down by 5% and its current market price is Rs 198. The BSE POWER is down by 2.1%. The top gainers in the BSE POWER Index [TOPCOMPANY]. The top losers is INDIAN ENERGY EXCHANGE LTD (down 5.3%)..

More Views on News

Most Popular

How the 8-Year Cycle Can Help Identify Multibaggers (Fast Profits Daily)

Sep 11, 2020

This is how you can apply the greed and fear cycle in the market to pick stocks.

Why am I Recommending Caution? (Fast Profits Daily)

Sep 9, 2020

This is why I have changed my short-term view on the market.

Why We Picked This Small-cap Stock for Our Hidden Treasure Subscribers (Profit Hunter)

Sep 17, 2020

This leading household brand will profit big time in a post covid world.

This Could Be the Best September for Auto Stocks (Profit Hunter)

Sep 11, 2020

Here's why I think this month could be a great for auto stocks.

More

Covid-19 Proof
Multibagger Stocks

Covid19 Proof Multibaggers
Get this special report, authored by Equitymaster's top analysts now!
We will never sell or rent your email id.
Please read our Terms

S&P BSE POWER


Sep 22, 2020 03:37 PM

S&P BSE POWER 5-YR ANALYSIS

COMPARE COMPANY

MARKET STATS