Infosys has beaten its earnings forecast for 1QFY02, with a YoY growth of 72% in net sales. Net profits have grown by 49.8% YoY. However, excluding the other income from transfer of intellectual property right to Onscan Inc. (Rs 55 m) the growth in net profits is 56.6% YoY. The company has managed to add 26 new clients during the 1QFY02. The figure is lower compared to 37 in 4QFY01. On a QoQ basis the company has posted a growth in topline of 9% and a growth in net profits by 4.6%.
Operating Profit (EBDIT)
Operating Profit Margin (%)
Profit before Tax
Provision and contingencies
Profit after Tax/(Loss)
Net profit margin (%)
Diluted number of shares
Diluted Earnings per share*
However, the operating margins have declined by 180 basis points compared to 4QFY01.This due to increase in employee costs that have grown by 25% (compared to 4QFY01). The employee costs in 1QFY02 are 42% of the revenues compared to 37% in the previous quarter (4QFY01). In the quarter Infosys has hiked offshore salaries by 15% and onsite salaries by 8%.
The overall billing rates for the company have come down by 2.8%. While billing rates have gone down for offshore development by 6%, the onsite billing rates have gone up by 1.2%. The onsite revenues contributed to 50.5% of the revenues and the remaining 49.5% came from offshore revenues.
The net profit figure at Rs 1,900 m is as per Indian GAAP. However, as per the US GAAP the figure would be Rs 1,841 m. The reason for the difference is the amortization stock compensation expenses of Rs 59 m. US GAAP requires the accounting of deferred stock compensation on issue of stock options to employees, being the difference between the exercise price and the fair value as determined by quoted market prices of the common stock on the grant date.
At the current market price of Rs 3,574, the stock is trading at a P/E multiple of 31 times its 1QFY02 annualised earnings.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA or Canada, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.
SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India. Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407