Aptech: Bad run continues - Views on News from Equitymaster

Helping You Build Wealth With Honest Research
Since 1996. Try Now

  • MyStocks


Login Failure
(Please do not use this option on a public machine)
  Sign Up | Forgot Password?  

Aptech: Bad run continues

Jul 31, 2001

Aptech has beaten NIIT, by posting a 94% drop in profits (compared to 2QFY01) for 2QFY02. The YoY decline in revenues for the quarter is a significant 45%. However, on a sequential basis the company's revenues have grown by 14% and net profits have declined by 19%. In this quarter too (like 1QFY02), the company has managed to ensure profitability due to a significant other income component of Rs 35 m.

(Rs m)2QFY012QFY02Change
Other Income2351,651.0%
Operating Profit (EBDIT) 518 41 -92.1%
Operating Profit Margin (%)37.3%5.4%
Interest 9 -  
Profit before Tax42722-94.9%
Tax55 - -100.0%
Profit after Tax/(Loss) 372 22 -94.1%
Net profit margin (%)26.8%2.9% 
Diluted number of shares 30.3 30.3
Diluted Earnings per share*49.12.9-94.1%
*(annualised) 16.6  

The education business contributed to 92% of the revenues for the quarter and the remaining 8% came from the company's software business. This translates to a YoY drop of 39% in the education business and a 75% drop in the software business.

The company's topline has taken a severe hit as realisations (earnings per student) in the software education sector have sharply fallen due to the decline in demand. The business has been hit due to the weakening in demand for software professionals in the US. The situation in the US has caused the revenues from the software business to also decline. However, compared to 1QFY02 the revenues from the education business have grown by 17%. This could be due to the seasonality in the education business. However, the software business has declined by 17% compared to the first quarter of FY02.

The decline in realisations has caused the operating margins for the company to come down steeply from 37.3% to 5.4% YoY.

At the current market price of Rs 48, the stock is trading at a P/E multiple of 17 times its 2QFY01 annualised earnings. Considering the present scenario it is quite unlikely that the realisations or the volumes in the education sector would pick up. Consequently, the prospects for the stock may be bleak in the near future.

Equitymaster requests your view! Post a comment on "Aptech: Bad run continues". Click here!


More Views on News

India's Top 4 IT Companies are Struggling. Here's Why... (Views On News)

Oct 22, 2021

As attrition rates are unbelievably high, top Indian IT companies are going for big-ticket raises, and much more hiring this year.

Infosys had an Exceptional Quarter Buoyed by Huge Deal Wins. Revenue Guidance Boosts Stock (Views On News)

Oct 14, 2021

Infosys raised its forecast for annual revenue growth to 16.5-17.5% from the earlier 14-16%, predicted in July 2021.

Info Edge: The Anatomy of an Indian Internet Behemoth (Views On News)

Oct 2, 2021

Info Edge is very popular in the Indian startup ecosystem due to its active participation in funding events.

This Indian Company is Tapping into the Huge Autonomous Driving Opportunity (Views On News)

Sep 14, 2021

Despite many challenges, Indian companies and startups have not shied away from entering this space.

4 Indian Companies in the Exploding Drone Market (Views On News)

Sep 1, 2021

The futuristic drone industry in India holds immense promise now that the government has come out with new rules.

More Views on News

Most Popular

Infosys vs TCS: Which is Better? (Views On News)

Nov 26, 2021

In the post pandemic era, the top two IT companies in India are fighting to capture the growing demand for IT.

This Multibagger Stock Zooms 20% After Dolly Khanna Buys Stake (Views On News)

Nov 24, 2021

Shares of this edible oil company zoomed over 50% in three days after ace investor bought around 1% stake.

Don't Sell these Stocks if the Market Falls (Profit Hunter)

Nov 17, 2021

These are the 3 types of stocks that you should not sell in a market crash.

How to Find Your Next 10-Bagger in this Market (Profit Hunter)

Nov 19, 2021

The #1 make or break factor in your portfolio you shouldn't ignore.

MobiKwik IPO Opens for Subscription Soon. Key Things to Know Before Subscribing. (Views On News)

Nov 20, 2021

The Rs 19 bn issue is set to hit the market soon.


Become A Smarter Investor
In Just 5 Minutes

Multibagger Stock Guide 2022
Get our special report Multibagger Stocks Guide (2022 Edition) Now!
We will never sell or rent your email id.
Please read our Terms


Oct 30, 2020 (Close)


  • Track your investment in HEXAWARE TECHNOLOGIES with Equitymaster's Portfolio Tracker. Set live price alerts, get research alerts and more. Get access now...
  • Add To MyStocks