L&T, the EPC and cement major, has announced poor 1QFY03 results. The company reported a 31% drop in net profits while total revenues have grown by 15% YoY. L&T faced pressure on cement realisations, which has depressed revenues from this division. Bottomline has also been impacted due to exposure to low margins EPC businessess.
Operating Profit (EBDIT)
Operating Profit Margin (%)
Profit before Tax
Profit after Tax/(Loss)
Net profit margin (%)
No. of Shares
Diluted Earnings per share*
L&T has attained 8% volume growth from cement business, while total sales have declined by 9% on account of poor realisations. The company has also reported that cement realisations have fallen by over 17% on a YoY basis. Electrical and electronics division of the company reported a flat growth in sales but has managed to improve operating margins.
The EPC business of the company has performed well contributing a major share to topline growth. The EPC division reported a near three fold jump in export sales. According to the company the EPC division saw a revival in orders from the hydrocarbon and infrastructure sectors. Revenues from this division grew by a considerable 37% and contributed to 57% of the company's total turnover.
L&T has been able to reduce its interest expenses by a considerable amount of Rs 350 million indicating a 37% fall in the same. Though the topline has risen considerably the operating margins have fallen by 440 basis points due to a considerable slide in realisations. Operating costs have increased due to higher volumes. Operating expenses of the company have risen by 21% on a YoY basis. Increase in operating expenses has been mainly on account of a 61% increase in the raw material consumption of the company.
The stock is currently trading at Rs 159 on a P/E multiple of 22x its 1QFY03 annualised earnings. The EPC division of the company is going through a rough time due to a lack of spending in the domestic capital goods sector from which it derives a majority of revenues. L&T has been able to mitigate this effect to a certain extent by agressively focussing on export markets. The exports thrust seems to be finally paying off but it is a long way before the revenue mix can be changed in favour of exports. The cement division of the company has been enjoying good growth driven by volumes in the recent past, but a drastic drop in realisations has meant that it will be a while before investment in cement business bears fruit. Going forward the topline is likely to be robust but bottomline is likely to be under pressure due to poor realisaions of the cement division.
Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has announced third quarter results of financial year 2016-2017 (3QFY17). The company has reported 1.7% YoY growth in sales while profits have grown 38.9% YoY. Here is our analysis of the results.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA or Canada, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.
SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India. Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407