X

Sign up for Equitymaster's free daily newsletter, The 5 Minute WrapUp and get access to our latest Multibagger guide (2017 Edition) on picking money-making stocks.

This is an entirely free service. No payments are to be made.


Download Now Subscribe to our free daily e-letter, The 5 Minute WrapUp and get this complimentary report.
We hate spam as much as you do. Check out our Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use.
Indian Stock Market News, Equity Market and Sensex Today in India | Equitymaster
Investing in India? Get Equitymaster Research  
Indian markets open flat 
(Mon, 14 Sep 09:30 am) 
 
The major Asian stock markets have opened the day on a dismal note. Stock markets in China, Japan and Singapore are down by 2.1%, 1.3% and 0.4% respectively. The major stock indices in the European markets ended their previous session in red. However the benchmark indices in the US closed their previous session up by 0.6%. The rupee is trading at 66.43 per US dollar.

Indian stock markets have opened the day on a flat note. BSE-Sensex is trading up by 2 points (up 0.01%) and NSE-Nifty is trading down by 3 points (down 0.03%).However, S&P BSE Midcap and S&P BSE Smallcap have surged upward. Both the indices are trading up by 0.4% and 0.3% respectively. Sectoral indices have opened the day on a positive note with stocks from capital goods, pharmaceutical sector witnessing maximum buying interest.

As per an article in Livemint, the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) rose to 4.2% in July. Manufacturing, which contributes close to 76% of IIP, registered a growth of 4.7% in July. The spurt in manufacturing activity was led by a pick-up in the capital goods and consumer durables segment. The capital goods segment which signals to investment demand in the economy, grew by double digits (10.6%) after a gap of six months. The article stated that the surge in the capital goods sector might be attributable to increase in government spending. Retail inflation too fell sharply to 3.8% in July from 5.4% in the previous month, increasing the leeway for a cut in the policy rates.

Stocks in the FMCG sector are trading on a positive note. As per an article in Economic Times, Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (GCPL) has completed the acquisition of 40% in Chile's hair colour and cosmetics company 'Cosmetica Nacional'. The foreign company is a market leader in the hair colorant and cosmetics segment in Chile. Earlier in January 2012, GCPL had acquired a 60% stake in this company. With the purchase of remaining stake of 40%, Cosmetica Nacional will become 100% subsidiary of GCPL. Stock of CGPL is trading down by 0.6%

For information on how to pick stocks that have the potential to deliver big returns, download our special report now!

View all commentaries | Archives  RSS
Read the latest Market Commentary
 
BSE-30
 

 
Go
 

Equitymaster requests your view! Post a comment on "Indian markets open flat". Click here!

  
 

Become A Smarter Investor In
Just 5 Minutes

Multibagger Stocks Guide 2017
Get our special report, Multibagger Stocks Guide (2017 Edition) Now!
We will never sell or rent your email id.
Please read our Terms

S&P BSE FMCG


Jul 21, 2017 (Close)

MARKET STATS