• OUTLOOK ARENA
  • VIEWS ON NEWS
  • OCTOBER 16, 2001

Geometric 2QFY02: Strong performance

Geometric has posted a strong 6% sequential growth in topline and a significant 44% growth in net profits for 2QFY02. However, the jump in net profits is largely due to a significant other income component. On a YoY basis the company’s topline has grown by 68%. In 2QFY01, the company had reported a loss. The highlight of the performance is that not only has the company managed to post a topline growth, it has managed to improve operating margins by about 240 basis points. The performance is remarkable considering the downturn that software services have been facing. Most of the second rung software companies are reeling under the adverse impact of the down turn.

(Rs m)1QFY022QFY02Change
Sales1401495.7%
Other Income 4 11 141.3%
Expenditure1131162.6%
Operating Profit (EBDIT)273218.7%
Operating Profit Margin (%)19.3%21.7%-
Interest 00-
Depreciation 10 11 11.8%
Profit before Tax 21 32 47.5%
Tax 0 1 1380.0%
Profit after Tax/(Loss) 21 31 44.4%
Net profit margin (%)15.2%20.8%-
Diluted number of shares5.25.2-
Diluted Earnings per share* 16.5 23.8 44.4%
P/E (x)  -3.2 -
*(annualised) --

The company has managed to control its costs. Consequently, the operating margins have improved. Though, both traveling and employee costs have grown, the company has managed to cut its miscellaneous costs by 27% sequentially.

On a consolidated basis, Geometric clocked Rs 182 m in revenues for the quarter. It earned 87% of its revenues from services and the remaining 13% came from software products. One of the reasons for Geometric managing to post a positive performance could be its low reliance on product related sales. In this downturn, software companies that have a significant contribution from products have been the hardest hit. The list includes VisualSoft and Hughes Software.

At the current market price of Rs 75, the stock is trading at a P/E multiple of 3 times its 2QFY02 annualised earnings. The valuations will see some upside due to the performance. However, the concern with the sector as a whole will limit rise.

Copyright © Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. All rights reserved.
Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing this newsletter whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without the permission of Equitymaster is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringement.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst) bearing Registration No. INH000000537 (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA, Canada or the European Union countries, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.

SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.

Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (Research Analyst)
103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India.
Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: info@equitymaster.com. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407