Losing steam... - Views on News from Equitymaster

Helping You Build Wealth With Honest Research
Since 1996. Try Now

  • MyStocks


Login Failure
(Please do not use this option on a public machine)
  Sign Up | Forgot Password?  

Losing steam...

May 18, 1999


  • Reckitt & Colman of India Limited (RCIL) - a 51% subsidiary of Reckitt & Colman Plc., UK, is a major player in the household cleaning and pharmaceutical products segment of the FMCG market. It manufactures antiseptics and soap (Dettol), anti-cold (Disprin), shoe polish (Cherry Blossom), house cleaners (Lizol, Harpic), insect repellantS (Mortein) and fabric whiteners (Robin).

  • In March 1998, RCIL set up Reckitt Piramal - a 3-party JV between RCIL (20% stake), Nicholas Piramal (40%) and Reckitt & Colman, UK (40%) to lend marketing thrust to its over the counter (OTC) pharmaceutical products. It transferred the marketing and distribution of its most established brands, Dettol and Disprin range of products to this JV.

  • Though RCIL forgoes the marketing margins on the above products, it will earn distribution fees on products distributed through its 400,000 plus retail outlets. Also, higher volume growth will materialise since the JV can tap on Nicholas Piramal's better doctor detailing and a distribution network that is better geared to distribute OTC drugs.


  • Household care is currently RCIL's fastest growing business (36% per annum). RCIL offers a broad range of products in house cleaning, lavatory care, floor/shoe polishes, fabric care and insect repellant as part of its household care segment.

  • Competition is intense in the specialised household cleaner (surface care) segment where RCIL's Lizol (internationally called Lysol) controls 41% market. Lizol competes directly with Lever Johnson's Domex, which controls the remaining 59% market.

  • Though RCIL's Harpic dominates the toilet cleaners segment with a 75% market share, it contributed only 5% to FY97 turnover. The company's Cherry Blossom range of shoe polishes also controls the market with a 75% share.

  • In the insect repellant category, RCIL's Mortien corners a 16% market share and is growing annually at 40%. Mortien competes directly with Johnson Lever's Raid and Bayer's Hit. Godrej has recently surfaced in this category by acquiring the Goodknight brand.

  • The new products category (i.e. products that are less than 4 years old) contributed 20% to RCIL's turnover and will further consolidate with brand extensions.


  • Reckitt is increasing its distribution reach from the current level of 400,000 retail outlets to 600,000 outlets with greater emphasis on rural penetration. RCIL has also invested in information technology and networking to boost its supply chain management.

  • Focus on household products business with new product launches under Lizol and Mortien brand names, supported by higher advertising spends and retail visibility to gain volumes.

  • Franchise extensions of strong brand names like Dettol, Lizol into shaving creams, glass cleaners, car cleaners, air-fresheners will boost brand recognition and strengthen the bottomline.


  • Intense competition in household products with Johnson Lever's will put pressure on margins in this price sensitive segment. The pressure will be on Reckitt to match Lever's huge advertising budgets to sustain customer loyalty.

  • The company's claim that higher volumes and dividend income from the Reckitt Piramal JV will compensate loss of marketing margins is yet to take shape.

Equitymaster requests your view! Post a comment on "Losing steam...". Click here!


More Views on News

Sorry! There are no related views on news for this company/sector.

Most Popular

India: Recovery Stalled by Vaccine Games? (The Honest Truth)

Apr 13, 2021

Ajit Dayal on how India's vaccine strategy will impact the markets.

4 Stocks to Make Your Portfolio Immune to the Second Covid Wave (Profit Hunter)

Apr 6, 2021

Rather than predicting the market, successful investing is more about preparing well and placing your bets accordingly.

A Stock with 700% Return Potential Comes with Additional Payoffs (Profit Hunter)

Apr 15, 2021

Narayana Murthy was one of the first unicorn founders to get the backing of this entity...

Why Did the Market Crash on Monday? (Fast Profits Daily)

Apr 13, 2021

In this video, I'll you what I think is the real reason behind yesterday's market crash.

A Unique Sector for Short-Term Profits (Fast Profits Daily)

Apr 12, 2021

This ignored sector could deliver big short-term profits.


India's #1 Trader
Reveals His Secrets

Secret To Increasing Your Trading Profits Today
Get this Special Report,
The Secret to Increasing Your Trading Profits Today, Now!
We will never sell or rent your email id.
Please read our Terms


Mar 7, 2019 10:55 AM


  • Track your investment in RECKITT BENCKISER with Equitymaster's Portfolio Tracker. Set live price alerts, get research alerts and more. Get access now...
  • Add To MyStocks