Siemens India has witnessed a substantial increase in its stock price in recent times. The company's stock has run up by almost 50% in last one month, especially after the declaration of FY04 results (September ending). Let's have a look at the FY04 results on consolidated basis and analyse the reasons for the run up and see whether it is justified.
Operating Profit (EBDIT)
Operating Profit Margin (%)
Profit before Tax
Profit after Tax/(Loss)
Net profit margin (%)
Diluted Earnings per share (Rs)*
Current P/E ratio (x)
Siemens increased its holding in one of its subsidiaries, Siemens Information System Ltd. (SISL) from 74.8% to 100% in FY04. So, on a consolidated basis, the picture looks stronger. The topline growth stands at around 13% where as the bottomline grew by around 75% YoY. Operating margins improved marginally by 30 basis points, where as the net profit margins improved significantly (370 basis points).
The main reason for only a marginal improvement in operating margins is the losses from health care business. The company was not able to perform well in health care segment because of one time charging of losses, which is nonrecurring in nature. However, the management is confident that health care division will be a key growth driver in next 5 years, and is also confident of achieving around 5% margins at PBIT level going forward.
Siemens's IT arm, SISL also performed well in the FY04, as it managed to grow by 19% as compared to IT industry growth of 18%. Domestic business contributes around 15% of SISL's revenues, where as remaining 85% comes from exports. The order intake for SISL increased by around 16% in FY04. The management seems to be confident of achieving a YoY growth of around 18% for next 2-3 years. Infact, yesterday some media reports mentioned news about SISL in final talks for bagging a contract of Rs 2.5 bn from European markets.
Let's have a look at the comparative valuations.
Operating Profit margins (%)
Net Profit margins (%)
Market Cap/Sales (x)
P/E ratio (x)
FY04 projected figures for BHEL and ABB
At the current price level of Rs 850, the stock trades at P/E multiple of 15.8x FY04 earnings. Looking at the business of the company, it seems that the growth prospects for Siemens are bright. Though stock may look cheaper on the relative valuation basis, but one needs to be cautious, as it seems too much growth has already been factored in the price. One can look at the company from a longer-term perspective of 3 to 4 years.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited (hereinafter referred as 'Equitymaster') is an independent equity research Company. Equitymaster is not an Investment Adviser. Information herein should be regarded as a resource only and should be used at one's own risk. This is not an offer to sell or solicitation to buy any securities and Equitymaster will not be liable for any losses incurred or investment(s) made or decisions taken/or not taken based on the information provided herein. Information contained herein does not constitute investment advice or a personal recommendation or take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or needs of individual subscribers. Before acting on any recommendation, subscribers should consider whether it is suitable for their particular circumstances and, if necessary, seek an independent professional advice. This is not directed for access or use by anyone in a country, especially, USA or Canada, where such use or access is unlawful or which may subject Equitymaster or its affiliates to any registration or licensing requirement. All content and information is provided on an 'As Is' basis by Equitymaster. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Equitymaster does not warrant its completeness or accuracy and expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express or implied. Equitymaster may hold shares in the company/ies discussed herein. As a condition to accessing Equitymaster content and website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions of Use, available here. The performance data quoted represents past performance and does not guarantee future results.
SEBI (Research Analysts) Regulations 2014, Registration No. INH000000537.
Equitymaster Agora Research Private Limited. 103, Regent Chambers, Above Status Restaurant, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. India. Telephone: +91-22-61434055. Fax: +91-22-22028550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.equitymaster.com. CIN:U74999MH2007PTC175407